Friday, July 16, 2010

up unemployment benefits despite national deficit?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/14/unemployment-deficit-polls-voters_n_646600.html

The surveys say that fifty two percent of registered voters believe that unemployment benefits should be increased despite national deficit. The argument is that in the short term it will help the economy more than working to decrease deficit spending. I say yes that is true. In the short term it may fair better for citizens to continue receiving checks in a jobless economy, however, jobs will have more trouble being created without reducing the deficit. In other words, in the long term it will actually hinder the reduction of federal defecit. The nation will continue to suffer from frivolous spending. I, personally, have been out of work for two years. Previously I was a dental assistant. I am now a mom of twin two year olds and am still actively searching for work. I know from personal experience how difficult it is to raise a family with extremely limited income. However I don't believe it is unemployment that will bolster american's ability to find jobs. I believe that it is with something as simple as making TANF available for those who need it for 30-60 days. This will give American's the ability to have childcare, transportation, food, non-food grocery items, as well as other vital tools for securing work readily available to them. I know that I would trade my food stamps in for 30 days of childcare, knowing I will be able to secure a job of some sort to help support my family. Currently the only way to qualify for TANF is to be jobless, virtually homeless, and it doesn't seem to hurt your chances if you are a non-US citizen.
I apologize for straying from the topic. To make a long story short, I believe that raising the unemployment benefits and consequently raising the deficit is not as wise as many americans believe.

The article is worth reading because it is neessary to form an opinion on such a serioous matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment