Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blog 7

The current healthcare situation in the U.S. is yet another issue I am passionate about. I feel it is teetering on the edge of a crisis and is completely inefficient. At this time it is easier for illegal immigrants to obtain food stamps and Medicaid than it is for natural born citizens and their families. With the economy and job market in a severely weekend state, many Americans are struggling to feed and care for their families; myself included. I am a dental assistant by trade but have been out of work for so long I find myself desperate for any decent paying position. Yet I find the positions I feel qualified to do are unavailable to me because I am not the desired employee; (which appears to be immigrant, bilingual, and willing to work long hours for low pay.) With jobs being snatched out from under us and benefits being denied us in order to go to foreign nationals, how on earth is this system currently in place going to benefit the American people?
It seems to me like a huge waste of federal funds to keep this current system going. It appears in the best interest for the economy to perform a serious overhaul to the current healthcare system. I am having trouble understanding why change has taken so long to occur. Nearly every other first world country is already implementing some form of Universal Healthcare and is quite successful in it’s implementation. This may seem a touch naïve, but I am at a loss as to why the U.S. government is unable to model a plan after the other’s who have successful programs in place. Much like the way the founding fathers modeled our democracy on other successful nations.


Opponents of such a system constantly speak of the evils of “socialized medicine” but I can’t help but listen to the underlying message. Those opposing “socialized medicine” also support big business and the concept of trickle down economics (which just about every economist of the day has proven ineffective.) It is hard to overlook the fact that some of the largest businesses in the country are insurance giants. Put two and two together and you realize who is buttering who’s toast so to speak.


I suppose all I am really trying to say is that I love America and do not want to live anywhere else. I just don’t want to continue living in a world where I have to chooses between medical care or bills. I just want to feel taken care of, like my opinion matters. Most importantly, I want to trust my government is looking out for the little guy like me, because with the way things are going now a days, England is looking pretty darn enticing!

No comments:

Post a Comment